It’s no secret that as a homeowner, there are countless responsibilities. So many, in fact, that preventing potential water problems may not be on your list of “Important Household Duties.” But, did you know that water is ten times more likely to damage your home than fire? Surprisingly, according to the Insurance Industry Institute, water is responsible for one-quarter of all property insurance claims.
The following easy tips can, in the long run, save you big headaches and buckets of money:
- Most importantly, know where your main water supply shut off valve is located in case of an emergency.
- Be sure that all windows and doors are properly sealed and that window wells are installed for any basement windows.
- Install downspout extensions to direct water away from your home. If necessary, purchase a rain barrel.
- Keep all areas that are caulked, such as showers, bathtubs, sinks, and toilet bases, maintained by making necessary repairs.
- Regularly check appliance hoses for any crimping, bending, cracking or breakage.
Keep in mind that damage can occur without warning, so it’s important to know what is going on within your home at all times. To make sure that you are properly covered, call The Reis Group today.